Showing posts from January, 2014

Configuring a bridged promisc interface in Security Onion

A few months ago I configured an all in one (server and sensor) Security Onion VM on my ESXi box.  It took a while, but I finally found a good box that I could use for a physical sensor.   I bought this  Barracuda ethernet TAP  back around 2007-9, and while it worked great, after I moved to my house, it has literally been collecting dust in my basement for years.  Lucky for me, it still works!  This is a non aggregating TAP, which means I have two "output" cables coming from the TAP to my IDS.   On the physical server, I installed Security Onion as a sensor only, and the TAP interfaces ended up being eth0 and eth2 (eth1 is the mgmt. interface). I quickly realized that I only knew how to bond two interfaces together on CentOS/RedHat.  It took a few hours of googling and trial and error, but I finally got eth0 and eth2 bonded/bridged together.  Aside from the Security Onion install, and configuring the interfaces (as shows below), the only other thing I needed to do was t

Writing and Debugging BurpSuite Extensions in Python

When I first started with Burp extensions over a year ago, I used the hiccup framework  to develop my plugins.   Hiccup had a way of monitoring my custom "plugin" for changes each time it performed an action.  As a result, it appeared that any changes I made to a plugin took effect in Burp instantly.    Well, when Burp Extender API 1.5 came out, while it greatly improved what could be done with Burp extensions, it also broke projects like Hiccup.   Not wanting to be dependent on another non PortSwigger API, I decided to spend whatever time I needed to learn how to interface with the Burp API directly.    As I began, one frustrating thing I realized was that I had to reload my extension each time I made even the smallest change.   This process takes some time, and because I am using Jython, it sucks some memory each time the extension is reloaded.  I finally gave in and asked  on the Burp Suite forum if anyone had a better way of writing and/or debugging Burp Extensions i

Re-launch - A focus on Web Application Pen Testing, Burp Extensions, etc

It has been quite a while since my last blog post here. Not that I have ever really blogged much, but in 2010, I officially switched from a world filled with enterprise firewalls and intrusion detection systems, to one filled with Web Applications (and other types of applications). On one hand, for someone who likes to learn, Web Application Penenetration Testing is perfect: There are so many languages, frameworks, best practices, and common mistakes to understand, that as a tester, you will never run out of things to learn. Of course, that also means that you will never come close to being able to learning it all. Left unmanaged, this can be a source of frustration and despair. The main point of this blog re-launch, is that it has been far too long since I have written any code. I'd like to document the mistakes I make, and the lessons I am bound to learn, as I jump back into things.  I mainly test applications from a Windows OS, so those thousands of hours of BASH scripting